Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Double Bishop Sacrifice IV

Justin may think he's missing easy tactics, see yesterday's blog, but I've managed to blunder two queens and a rook already so far this week, and that's not counting Monday when the time I waited for my opponent to turn up was less than the actual game lasted.

A tactical exercise is in order.

Those with elephantine memories may recall that a few months ago I started a series of posts (in order one two and three) about Double Bishop Sacrifices.

I thought it was about time I got back to series. Today's game is Kuzmin-Sveshnikov, USSR championship 1973 (which I found in John Nunn’s book, Secrets of Practical Chess).




Firstly, why can White only draw if he plays Bxh7+ straightaway?

As a clue, let me tell you the actual game finished 16. Nb6 Nxb6, 17. Bxh7 Kxh7, 18. Qh5+ Kg8, 19. Bxg7 Kxg7, 20. Qg4+ Kh7, 21. Rf3 1-0

Secondly, calculate how White would have won if after 16. Nb6 Black had tried
16. … Ra7
or
16. … Rb8


This is all far too advanced for those of us who struggle to avoid leaving pieces en prise but I hope the rest of you enjoy it.

No comments: