Sunday, June 03, 2012

Harbinger

God Save The ... oh wait. Before I begin I should say that if you came here looking for your usual weekend Chess in Art fix you should click HERE for Richard (and Martin's) post yesterday: the latest instalment in their excellent series on the gentlemen of Hereford Chess Club.

Now, where was I? Ah yes. God Save The Queen.

For the benefit of our readers from overseas, I should explain that today Britain celebrates sixty years of a German family living on state benefits in an enormous house in the centre of London. I'm not sure why exactly, but it's certainly got a lot of people rather excited. When I strolled down Regent Street yesterday there were so many Union Jacks on display I thought I'd slipped through a rift in the space-time continuum and ended up in a parallel universe where the BNP had taken charge on the same day that we'd won the World Cup, a war and the Eurovision Song Contest.

Well, at least we've got an extra bank holiday out of it. A four-day weekend could drag a little, though, so if you're not playing in a chess tournament, or watching one, let us entertain you. Tomorrow, Tuesday and every day next week in fact, we at the S&BC Blog will have a puzzle for you. Yes, I know you've come to expect and - dare I say it? - enjoy an almost complete absence of chess on this particular chess blog, but we all knew we'd have to get back to it sooner or later.

Anyhoo, whatever it is you're doing this weekend do have fun ... and for those of you who can't wait for tomorrow, here's a special bonus edition of one of our long-running series to be going on with.













3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Surely we should have an additional white pill option to mark this auspicious occasion?

The royal family are really good for the economy you know - they bring in lots of tourists. Although maybe we could use modern management methods to motivate them better and improve their performance for UK plc. Perhaps by putting them on short term contracts, and making them do appraisals every year?

hylen said...

I'm with Mr. Lydon

Niall said...

I would, on principle, like to see an end to royalty. I have always wondered how much money they bring into the economy though. Has anyone seen any cost-benefit analysis?